Saturday, September 10, 2005

I'm back and confused as ever!?

I'm back stalwart reader of my blog... I really mean reader. I am back in school and I decided to pick up the pen... Keyboard. The topics of this blog will now change from the downright infuriating Cubs to the Bears and the Utes(I go the University of Utah and have front row seats expect kick butt pictures football fans.)

I will still post about the Cubs every once and a while but the main emphasis will be on football. I no longer have any ability to watch Cubs games because I am removed from home and MLB extra innings from Directv. Therefore I will mostly go off hearsay and whatnot from the Trib and the Sun-Times(worst paper ever.)

Now then down to the business of getting down. The Utes have a big game this weekend against the Utah State Aggies(sucking since 1997.) Sophmore quarterback Brian Johnson has a real chance to cement himself as a real Division 1 quarterback against the weakling Aggie defense. Johnson lacks any sort of decision making facilities but the good thing is the Aggie defense is just as clueless. I anticipate another game of Johnson handing the ball off to Quinton Ganther and ______ (insert slot wideout.) For Johnson to impress me and the rest of the MUSS(Mighty Utah Student Section!) he has to get his head in the game and realize he is one of the fastest players on the field and he is allowed to venture past the line of scrimmage every once and awhile.


It was extremely frustrating watching Johnson have a clear running lane but instead of taking off downfield he would pass to a receiver for a short gain. Johnson is a faster and more agile quarterback than Alex Smith could ever hope to be but he remains behind the line because he has no clue whether to run or pass. I have a quick fix for this problem... create specific plays for the kid to run! Johnson has Vickesque speed and ability with his legs and he is just a waste if he cements himself in the backfield like Chad Hutchinson.

On the other side of the ball there is no contest. The Aggies suck on offense and the Utes are good on defense(in the first half.) As long as the Ute offense can take a stick to the Aggies in the first half we will be fine.

Anticipated score Utes 28 Aggies 17.

Now on to the Bears. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of Kyle "Jesus" Orton in preseason and Sean Salisbury was bold enough to predict Orton to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year. I wouldn't quite go that far but I think Orton will be good enough to not screw up as much as past Bears qbs(Hutch,KOrdell,Mighty Quinn.) I anticipate the amazingly underrated defense and Orton will lead the Bears to a wildcard berth in the playoffs. Now some of you might be wiping your eyes in disbelief at this point but let me explain.

The defense will undoubtedly keep the Bears in every game and even contribute to the scoring. I think that this is the best defense the Bears have had in 10 years including 2001. The d-line is strong up the middle with Harris and Scott up the middle with Tank Johnson coming in for relief. In addition Wale and Brown are coming off the ends fast and furious, which will give every o-line in the league a absolute headache. I anticipate more than 10 sacks for Brown while offenses concentrate on Wale. The Linebackers are healthy and raring to make runners struggle to turn the corner. Urlacher will be an absolute nightmare again using his great range to shut down the field on running plays as well as passing plays. Lance Briggs is deadly on a blitz and I anticipate many rushed throws coming on account of this young man. Hunter Hillenmeyer was impressive last year when he had to fill in for Urlacher and I anticipate him having a breakout year in place of the below average Joe Odom. Lastly the Secondary is amazing this year with the shutdown corner Tillman riding #1 receivers up and down the field. Nathan Vasher is a dark horse for Bears defensive MVP. The kid out of Texas has great hands and I anticipate no fewer than 7 ints. Mike Brown is back and is moved to strong safety. Brown will be well utilized from this new position and I see a boat load of tackles for him in the future while he comes into the box to screw with offensive coordinators.

On the other side of the ball Orton will sling it around to a full stable of able bodied wideouts. Moose will have a dropoff in performance this year but it won't be like he fell off a cliff more like a gentle sloping curb. The wildcard is Mark "preseason is fantastic" Bradley. He is a great possession receiver and having him in the slot position will add a great dimension to a formerly anemic Bears offense. In the time that Orton isn't hucking the ball with great accuracy and strength he will be handing it off to the quick and elusive TJ and the bruising Cedric "don't call me Ricky" Benson. I see either one of these guys getting 900+ yards. The running game will take pressure off Orton and allow him to flourish like Big Ben last year. Seriously if you look at last year's Steelers they had a good running game fueled by 2 good running backs which allowed Big Ben to be comfortable when he had to throw and didn't put the bulk of the burden on his shoulders. I am leaving out the most important factor though. The o-line is better than ever. I mean seriously we only got better this year by adding Fred Miller and getting rid of the complicated blocking schemes of last year. This will lead to a more productive backfield and a more productive passing attack.

Football is in full swing again and I couldn't be happier... becuase neither of my teams have screwed up yet(I'm looking in your direction Cubbies... that's right you!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker